Okay. So, as much as I always try to remind myself that I am beautiful, smart, unique, blah, blah... there are times when you see someone else and you cannot help but feel envious of their beauty, their personality, or their accomplishments, etc. I would just like to stress that everyone is important to this world and that everyone is born into this world for a purpose. As normal as it may to feel a tingle of jealousy whenever you encounter someone "more successful than yourself", I still feel that an overload of jealousy is quite unhealthy.
I'll reveal one of the intentions for this post: After coming to university, I felt envious of the many people I encountered- their experience, intelligence, beauty- I met leaders of clubs, founders of clubs, this, that... and the list goes on! How could they be the leader of a society with over a hundred members, be part of the residence council with that position, maintain a GPA of 3.9, have the time to socialize and have great connections built, and be a competitive athlete/musician at the same time? How could...? How...? And the list goes on.
1. Avoid comparing yourself with others. Once you compare yourself with others, you look down on your accomplishments and your value.
2. Set your own standards and work towards your goal instead of setting a difficult or big goal quickly unless you are capable of achieving it; small steps could build you up to your destination, and you will grow and learn from the experience! The experience might even be the best part next to your achievement!
3. Instead of comparing yourself to those people, set them as examples or inspirations. Take these 2 situations for example:
- Situation #1: "My goodness, she is soo talented at dancing ballet- she even has her own ballet studio now. Plus, she's also the manager of that clothing retail store, and she's the founder of X Club!"
- Situation #2: "Wow, I'm amazed at her accomplishments and I'm now even more inspired to pursue my own goals."
We are all humans and we all have the capabilities to do anything if we pursue it. Instead of criticizing yourself and being envious of others, think of it as: "if she/he can do it, so can I!"
Sometimes whenever I encounter an opportunity, I might become skeptical about my capabilities and doubt myself, but you won't get anywhere if you don't try and push yourself out of your comfort zones. I dare you to take opportunities and be motivated- life is too short to think of all the ways situations can go wrong! If you know you will later regret not doing something or trying it, take action and do it now!
If you have another tip or a story to share about building confidence and overcoming human's nature to comparing self to others, please comment below- it will definitely help inspire others! :)
Have a happy new year and I hope you will not regret 2015!! :)